Moving your digital belongings: Easily transfer data between providers
Exercise your right: Transfer your data from one company to another!
The right to data transferability is intended to prevent you from being “locked in” with a provider: You can decide for yourself who you trust your personal data with. If you want to take your data from one provider to another, it is best to contact the provider in writing.
Below, you’ll find a sample letter as a PDF download or as a text to copy and paste into an e-mail. You’ll still have to add your address and the company’s address. If available, you can also add your customer or billing number. Please send the letter directly to the company in the end.
Important: Your request must be handled at no cost to you. Companies can only charge you in cases of unfounded or excessive, repetitive requests. If companies require a copy of a proof of identification, you can redact any information that’s not necessary for your request.
Download the sample letter:
Right to data portability pursuant to Article 20 GDPR
To whom it may concern:
Pursuant to Article 20 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) I request access to the following personal data:
I request the following data transmission:
I would like to receive my personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format.
I would like my personal data to be transmitted to the following data controller:
Please confirm receipt of my request. In accordance with Article 12(3) GDPR, I ask for information on action taken until the following date at the latest:
In case of non-compliance with my demand, I will contact a data protection authority. Furthermore, I reserve the right to take further legal action, which may include the enforcement of claims for damages according to Article 82 GDPR.
Notes on using this sample letter
- Please enter your address and the company’s address. If available, you can add your customer and/or billing number.
- Write down what data or data categories should be transmitted. You can also just write: “Any and all personal data.”
- Choose what type of data transmission you request.
- Get the data yourself: You can request to receive the data and then pass it along to another provider yourself.
- Have the data transmitted: In case you don’t want to be involved in the data transmission, you can request your personal data to be transferred directly from one provider to the next.